Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy Birthday J.R.R. Tolkien -Postcard Friendship Friday #201

 

I have been a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien since my Father introduced me to his books when I was a little girl.  Tolkien's writing was so vivid, when the movie came out a few years ago--each character was just as I had imagined.

I can still remember Daddy chuckling over the antics of the awful Gollum.  I read Tolkien's stories for my own small son--complete with accents, voices, dramatics and such--so the tradition has been passed along.

It is J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday today.  His full name was John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.  He was born September 3, 1892.  He was an author, academic, student, professor, philologist, linguist, and poet. He created his own languages, complete with grammar rules. He created the world of Middle Earth--so real it seems it must surely have existed and may still be found one day.  

Artwork from my girlhood was often influenced by what I read in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.  There is a beauty and magic about his work which touches my imagination and always will.

Have a lovely weekend, Friends and Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

LINKING UP:  You can put your link in any time between now and next Thursday.  Postcard Friendship Friday is open for the entire week! 

BADGE:  When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you!

*  THEMESYou don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the pieces you love and tell us why you like them.

*  REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising will be deleted. Also, any and all suspicious links which do not lead to a correct website will be reported and deleted.





3 comments:

Maggid said...

Tolkien seemed to be an exceptional human being . . . he did some rather heroic things . . and stood for humankind . . . I enjoy his works - i enjoy the good stories I've heard about him - I did not realize this is his birthday - I'm grateful YOU knew - Remembering him is a very Good Thing.
Thanks,
Happy Happy New Year!

Postcardy said...

That's a cute card. I have heard of Tolkien, but I have never read anything by him.

Snap said...

Perfect card to celebrate Tolkien's birthday! Happy PFF!